Visiting Gaspésie with Your Dog
Visitors often wonder whether dogs are allowed in accommodation establishments or tourist attractions in Gaspésie. This blog post will help you plan your stay in our region with your furry companion.
First, consult the Gaspésie Official Tourist Guide, which lists various accommodation options: hotels, B&Bs, cottages, campgrounds, etc. Those that are pet-friendly will include a dog pictogram, as pictured below. (If you don’t see this pictogram, pets are not allowed.)
Over 25 beaches, including 4 that are supervised, and over 30 hiking trails are accessible to dogs.
Two national parks allow dogs on leashes: Forillon National Park and, more recently, Parc national de la Gaspésie. In the latter case, dogs are allowed in certain areas only, which are clearly delineated to avoid any confusion. The authorized sites are the Lucarne and Chute-Sainte-Anne trails, the De la Rivière campground and the De la Vallée RV area.
Wildlife reserves generally allow dogs except inside camps and in areas with signs forbidding their presence.
If you are travelling with your pet, please note that not all attractions are pet friendly. In addition, note that most of the attractions listed below require your pet to be on a leash.
Places you can visit with your dog:
- Centre d’art Marcel Gagnon, Sainte-Flavie (outdoors only)
- Mitis River Park, Sainte-Flavie
- Les Murmures de la Ville, Circuit de fresques, des arts et du patrimoine, (a walking tour of murals and public art), Mont-Joli
- Les Jardins de Doris, Matane
- Village Grande Nature Chic-Chocs, Cap-Chat (Saint-Octave-de-l’Avenir)
- Parc national de la Gaspésie (authorized areas only)
- Mount Lyall Agate Mine, Sainte-Anne-des-Monts
- Forillon National Park, Gaspé
- Micmac Interpretation Site of Gespeg, Gaspé, (outdoor site only; there are shady areas where dogs may rest while you are visiting the interpretation centre)
- Birth Place of Canada Historic Site, Gaspé (outdoors only)
- Percé UNESCO Global Geopark, (Mont Sainte-Anne and Mont Blanc trails)
- Circuit historique de Percé, Percé
- Parc du Bourg de Pabos, Chandler
- Circuit des Bâtisseurs, Chandler
- Chute à Philomène, Saint-Alexandre-des-Lacs
- Site des Chutes et Marais, Causapscal (outdoors only)
- Parc régional de la Seigneurie du Lac Matapédia, Amqui
Fishing on the wharves does not require a fishing licence and your furry friends are welcome!
In addition, if you are travelling with your dog and want to visit sites that are not pet-friendly, you will be happy to know that several local kennels offer you the option of boarding your pet during your absence. Visit our tourist information offices for more information about these companies, which are located throughout the Gaspé Peninsula. We will be happy to help you find one that suits you!
Enjoy discovering Gaspésie with your dog! To be in the loop, visit tourisme-gaspesie.com and plan your trip today! #gaspesie
Do I need reservations for my vacation in Gaspésie?
Use Our Planner to Plan Your Vacation in Gaspésie!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.